I woke up this morning to news of another deadly mass shooting that claimed the lives of 13 individuals. We sympathize and mourn with the victims and their families.
Unfortunately, no community is immune from such events; it can happen anywhere. So, this morning I ask that as we keep the victims of this and so many other such tragedies in our thoughts and prayers, we remain vigilant everywhere we are and everywhere we go.
We are dealing with so many tragic events: some man-made, others natural. Man-made or natural, some are preventable. While it is impossible to completely prevent such tragedies, there are still proactive steps we can take to minimize their occurrence. Here is some information from security experts, other sources, and my own personal advice:
- Be vigilant and keep your eyes and ears open while in public or in private. Complacency killed the cat.
- Report any suspicious activity. If it does not look or sound right, report it.
- Be familiar with your surroundings and always have an escape route, no matter where you are.
- If you do not have to be at a “soft target” venue, then don’t.
- Be prepared to run, hide or fight for your life!
This is advice from the perspective of avoiding being a victim. Please add more, if you feel so inclined.